Friday, May 03, 2013

The seals are back

It's been a long and cold winter, but now the sun comes thru more often and raises the temperature to enjoyable levels sometimes. As the ugly days seem to be over I've been more outdoors again for the last two weeks. While strolling along the coastline I suddenly noticed that someone is curiously observing me ...





I had not seen one of them in months and I don't know where they have been, but now, with spring, they seem to be back in the near bay. - Which is a nice change for me to watching seagulls and ships.

They are not really rare in this area, but it is still a rather unusual view to see them near the shore. A few years ago thousands of them died; from internet information it still isn't cleared why. Some scientists claimed it was caused by a "natural" viral disease, which left the question why they got it, others said the widespread deaths were caused by the industry, using the sea as their cheap waste dump for toxic chemicals. In recent years some areas have been turned into nature reserves and census has shown that the local population is growing again.


That day I could count three of them. Other people I met on the walk told me about 6 or 7 they have seen.

Two of them were much smaller than the third. I guess they are youngsters, maybe even a couple, cos they're "hugging" each other ...

... most of the time they were scampering

 ... and whirling around the other one

... or makin' splashes

... playing hide and seek


 ... look right

... look left

 ... dive down

... and jump

 ... yay!

 confuse a seagull

thar she blows!

waving ...

goodbye :)


No comments:

Post a Comment