Friday, August 15, 2014

Themes for Pale Moon and Firefox


 Moon Trip Theme

 Elephant Moon Theme :)


I've been using Firefox as my browser for many years, but since FF 24 Mozilla changed or removed some functions step by step and added new ones, that I don't really need, I switched to Pale Moon, which is technically based on Firefox 24 [now 31] ESR (Extended Support Release). Pale Moon keeps some of the good old functionalities, gives additional configuration options and is just faster for me on certain favourite sites. Over that, the browser design isn't australised (yet) and almost all Firefox addons and themes are compatible with Pale Moon.
With background themes (formerly known as Personas) you can change the look of the browser. Not that this is so overly important, but the default theme in both browsers is mind-numbing after a while, so customizing is a good option.
If you're not familiar with Firefox themes, you can simply go to the official Mozilla Themes site, choose one (or more) of the thousand backgrounds, click on the "Add to Firefox" button and see how the look of your browser changes. In case you don't like the theme you can instantly undo the installation in a bar that appears in your browser window, or switch back later in the Firefox Addons Manager.
After installing Pale Moon, I soon wanted to change the default look to something else and got the Pale Moon theme, which I used quite long until I found it a bit too bright. While I didn't find a really good alternative (darker) moon theme there, I created some of my own (examples on top), which can be installed in Pale Moon or Firefox now directly from the Mozilla Themes site.

4 comments:

  1. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxl4q5OSrM1qdjnpao1_500.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cute, but somewhat sad :)

      Delete
    2. http://38.media.tumblr.com/c22b5b1d88f91a4809b41f5df29fd66a/tumblr_n7ou29aAQh1sw0e4co1_500.gif

      Delete
    3. thank you, viti! I had this already, but not in a smaller size.

      Delete