Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Let's go optical



There are other ways to confuse a cat than big trucks with the funny things* in it.

What OptiCat is trying to catch here is one of the earliest images that I found and saved to my internet image collection since I logged on.



In the meantime I saved a lot of these from various locations, unfortunately with no reference of who created them. I've not even a clue where they came from and how they are called correctly. Thinking of the famous Op-Art artists of the 60s like Victor Vasarely, Bridget Riley, Richard Anuszkiewicz, Josef Albers (and many others ...), it would be over the top to classify these optical images here as "-Art". On the other hand, they use the same basic principles to irritate human (and cats) eye to brain physics. Which, I guess, made them so popular.
In the following you'll see a selection of net findings and a few of my older wallpaper experiments.
Please be careful. Setting them as desktop backgrounds can cause everything from severe brain damage to confused cat behaviour so use at your own risk!


















 Various adaptions from Bridget Riley's work "Fall", 1963 (- always loved this:)





Adaptions from Peter Sedgley's "Circle" works in the 60s



7 comments:

  1. GREAT Floker! Nice collection - I think I need a new wallpaper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l936wttwud1qzt9gno1_500.gif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx viti, this looks more liek psychedelicat :)

      Delete
  3. please tell me they are animated gifs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here´s a nice site to explore!
    http://www.op-art.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://i.imgur.com/nW22xGg.gif

    ReplyDelete